Only we geeks could come up with something like this…
Sure, corporate espionage is as old as corporations themselves, but only geeks (of which I am a proud member) would come up with an idea to catch fellow geeks with their pants down in the way that Google caught Bing. I applaud the geeks at Google. Salute them. Throwin horns in the air to you guys, because you rock out loud.
Suspicious of their new rival, Google engineers set up random results on their site for a series of unlikely search terms, such as “hiybbprqag.” (Google arranged for the nonsense word to point to a Los Angeles theater seating plan on its search engine.)
“Within a couple weeks of starting this experiment, our inserted results started appearing in Bing,” Google said in a statement on its official blog Tuesday.
Google said it welcomed honest competition, but sneered at Bing’s “recycled search results from a competitor.”
Hey Bing….now that Google has given you a good old fashioned rogering, put your hiybbprqag away and pull up your damn pants.
- hiybbprqag – How Google Caught Bing in the Act! (manolith.com)
- Google’s “Hiybbprqag” Gets the Spotlight (searchenginejournal.com)
- Colbert: Bing Gets Hiybbprqag-ed (tech.fortune.cnn.com)
- Viral Video: Bing Gets Hiybbprqag-ed (kara.allthingsd.com)
- Hiybbprqagate: Google, Bing, and the Burning Building (searchenginewatch.com)
- Colbert: “Hiybbprqag Is A Word Meaning You Got Served” (searchengineland.com)